As you will be aware, the UK left the EU on 31 December 2020.  We are now in what is known as the grace period and this is due to end on 30 JUNE 2021. Please read the following information carefully.

  • Those who are not Irish or British and live in Northern Ireland

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, which will enable them to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021. Each child must also have their own application. If you have a permanent residence document you still need to apply.

The EU Settlement Scheme is currently open. We urge you to apply as soon as possible as there are only 5 weeks left; you can check to see if you need to apply HERE.

There are two different kinds of status - ‘settled’ and ‘pre-settled’ - which status you get may depend on when you apply.

It’s free to apply to the scheme. The deadline for applying is currently 30 JUNE 2021.

The guidance notes are available in 26 European languages.

  • Those who are Irish or British but live in the Republic of Ireland and work in NI

Those who use what is known as the common travel area to come to work in NI can continue to do so.

On 8 May 2019, the Irish and UK governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding (pdf) reaffirming the Common Travel Area and identifying the rights and privileges of Irish and UK citizens within the CTA. It also reaffirms the commitment to maintain the CTA following Brexit (pdf).

  • Those who live in the Republic of Ireland and ARE NOT British or Irish but work in NI

These people need to apply for a Frontier Worker Permit. The Frontier Worker Permit application process is now Open and is Free and you can apply online from inside or outside the UK. Until 30 JUNE 2021 you can continue entering the UK as a Frontier Worker using only your valid passport or national identity card.

From 1 July 2021, you’ll need to hold a valid Frontier Worker Permit, as well as your valid passport or national identity card, to enter the UK as a Frontier Worker. For more information on Frontier Worker Permits please click here.

Tell a colleague